LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Just saying hello!

Hi everyone!

After a shed load of motors, I've finally bought a Zaffy.

I saw this particular one many months before I bought it. It sat unloved in a corner of a garage near where I live. I made enquiries and discovered it had failed the M.o.T on a few items. I used to drive past it almost every day and felt crestfallen that nobody had stepped in and saved the old girl from certain death.

It's a very early (June '99) 1.6 Comfort, only a couple of owners from new. Some dings and dents here and there but it's been a working car all it's life.

I felt quite sorry for it with it's half-deflated tyres and mouldy paintwork.

I did think there was absolutely no way this would actually start and run, but a fresh battery installed and the thing started on the first turn of the key. It settled down to a smooth idle and I was pleasantly surprised at how it ran - it's one of the quietest Ecotec's I've ever heard. I knew then I had to save it! Clutch and gearbox are fine but the brakes on the rear are absolutely shot, a combination of it sitting idle, a snapped handbrake cable and partial seizing on one side of the rear. Negotiations followed and a price was agreed.

I got it transported home and gave it a good valet. Amazing at how filthy it was! I fitted some wheeltrims to smarten the bus up a bit - a bargain 5 from the scrapyard. (I will be buying a lot of things from here to spruce her up...)

Plan is to put it in for an M.o.T and fix everything that needs doing. Not a huge list but enough to be getting on with. My daily car will be sold to fund the repairs and then I shall have a cheap and decent 7-seater! Ideal for our (potentially) growing family. I do also plan to do some upgrades along the way.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Ren

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum, be interesting to see how you get on with it. I hope you don't have too many issues!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good work so far, well done for rescuing it!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Looks a lot better already, can't wait to see what the rest is you've got planned
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies guys!

Currently still sitting awaiting an M.o.T which should be happening the first week in January.

Then we will find out what exactly needs doing to it. As far as I know it needs the following:-

New Catalytic Converter

New brakes on the rear along with a handbrake cable

New N/S coil spring

New N/S lower arm balljoint

Possibly a new front tyre

The washers aren't working but I've read it's because the filters are clogged up with gunge - nice easy job to sort!

So not a huge amount, but plenty to be getting on with. Then as soon as we are legal, the mods shall begin! (Hopefully.....)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:31 PM
Ren

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nothing too bad there I don't think, just general maintenance stuff. Are you doing any of the work yourself?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sadly I haven't got the time to do any of it myself, as I'm working every minute possible plus I've got a small daughter so all my time is taken up with that!

Anyhow, I've booked the M.o.T for 6th January at 9.30 at my local garage. Will keep you all posted!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I will however sort the washers out and pop another wheel and tyre on the front, and use the old one for the spare seeing it hasn't got one. It seems this was picked at for parts whilst it was laid up at the garage. The wheel brace with jack and towing eye in their little bag has also gone walking, and I'm pretty confident it had a set of wheeltrims when it first arrived there too. Things like this happening make me feel so sorry for it and only goes to convince me this needs another chance on the road as the engine and gearbox / clutch are in excellent order. It barely spins over before it fires up; the engine compression is spot-on.

The plan on the 6th is to drop the car at the garage, then I've got a dentist appointment down the road then I'll walk back up and see what it's failed on and take it from there.

As for the modifications, I've spotted a '54-plate Zaffy SRi Diesel in my local breakers yard, which still has it's rear bumper and all the side trims, albeit in a slightly different shade of Star Silver. I'll see how much the guy wants for them first.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Small update.

In preparation for the M.o.T, I've sourced a good used wheel and tyre (from a Vectra but the 5-studs are the same) for the princely sum of 20. The O/S/F wheel will now become the spare. Whilst I was at the scrapyard, I scored a wheelbrace and jack along with the towing eye and in the little material bag for just a tenner.

I then went to the yard with the Zafira SRi and salvaged the heater control panel along with the bottom ashtray and cig lighter unit for just a fiver! I've also asked the yard owner to keep back the bodykit, steering wheel and rear lights pending the outcome of the M.o.T.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
M.o.T time is fast approaching so on with the salvaged wheel and tyre.

Better. Now there's some tread on that tyre.

Also this happened.

Back where it belongs. Cage did up nice and tight so no worries that the spare will fly off down the street!

Tool kit and bag back in it's stowage container.

I couldn't sort the washers because the screws securing the arch liners in were all rusted in, so that's another job for the garage to do.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page