Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

2.0 DTI takes ages to warm up

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Devs Ad 
#1 ·
My Zafira has always taken ages (20mins) or so to warm up and never gets above 85c on the guage. In the last spell of cold weather is was getting rediculous. I resorted to changing the thermostat.

Quinton Hazel do a replacement QTH600k which opens at 92c and cost £10 from local trade spares shop. (you do not need to buy the housung/thermostat complete, just a rip off)

Change was easy, just unbolt the 3 bolts hoding the thermostat housing. No need to remove any hoses. Main issue is that my engine has a plastic coated metal gasket, not the face/face o ring. So fortunately had a bit of Loctite flexible sealant and lightly smeared both sides of gasket before refitting. Took 2 litres of coolant to refill. Temp guage now reading 88-89c but in all honesty still takes ages (15mins- 10 miles to get up to temperature.

This would appear to be a common issue with diesel zafiras.

D

#2 ·
Useful to know that the new 'stat helped a bit.

As you say, tho', it's common with this diesel and - I think - many other diesels in general. Diesels just don't 'burn' as hot as petrol-engined cars. I was convinced that mine was faulty too, as a 10 mile journey was needed before it reached full temp - since discovered that's normal...!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.