Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My traction control warning light came on last week and i got my friend to diagnose the fault and it came up with fault CA0131 pressure sensor fault. And he said that i will have to replace the whole ABS system as you cannot just replace the sensor and it could cost upwards of £1200 just for the parts. Can anybody help me and suggest any alternative solutions or know of any other zafira drivers that have had this problem. I have a 2007 1.9 CDTI SRI and have done 42.000 miles.Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I have a 06 1.8SRi with 57k and the ESP light came on just after I changed the discs & pads (EBC) a couple of months ago. My local dealer told me that I needed an ABS control unit (€700) but when they fitted it - no change!
I'm told I now need the complete hydraulic unit as the faulty sensor does not come separately (€1800) - sounds similar to your problem although I don't know what the fault code is.

They tell me that it wont fail the NCT (MOT equivalent) as the ABS works and ESP is "just a feature" of my car - hope not because it's first test is tomorrow!

I wonder if Vauxhall would make a contribution towards this huge cost...?? €2500 is a bit steep for "a feature"! - makes me wonder if it's actually worth fixing?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yep! Sounds exactly likethe problem with my '06 Zafira 1.8sri,having done ~45k miles, although I can't think of anything that might have set it off!It's nuts that we should have a bill that steep for an "unforced error" on a relatively new car

Is the "ESP" light the same as the "traction control" light, though? And is the ABS definitely still operational?

Would love any suggestions for a good approach to this! Any meritin approaching Vauxhall about the issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, flew through, no probs. The tester asked me what "the little yellow light on the dash was" so I told him it was nothing to do with the test & he gave me the cert!
An Opel mechanic told me that the ABS & brakes are all working fine- it's just a faulty sensor which isn't available separately to the ABS hydraulic unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem. My Vauxhall Zafira 2.2 Auto 55 reg has a warning yellow light which indicates traction control failure.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I didn't take much noticed for a couple of days until my wife told me that while driving the car all of a sudden goes really slow as if the breaks were applied without pressing the break.

I sent it to my local garage and they didn't have the machinery so they sent it to a Vauxhall Dealer. The dealer has come back to us saying that the problem with traction control is ‘inside' the ‘ABS' and that the ABS will need to be replaced to the tune of £1,300 parts only!

This is a Vauxhall faulty part, why do I need to pay for it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Couldn't agree more, although outside warranty period, of course. Still, pooling complaints might work in this case. My garage told me they'd heard of this ABS issue before.
I haven't much experience with this sort of thing, but would be happy to pitch in. Perhaps "Moggy" can share his/her "letter of complaint" with us?
I'll also approach my excellent garage again, as they're pretty good with advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a problem with the injection a couple of months ago and Vauxhal had to change a particular part which cost £300 alone and my car was under no factory warranty? or it was? 55 reg.. They paid for it without me asking as they assumed it was a factory problem.

What I mean by that is that perhaps the traction control issue is a factory problem too but Vauxhall has not been 'aware' of the issue yet...

What are we going to do then?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,
I have posted the following on the official Vauxhall website (https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/tools/vauxhall-contact-us.html):
"Through a Zafira owners community website and via my own garage, I know of several people (including myself) who have recently been shocked to find out that the pressure sensor (?) inside the ABS has spontaneously failed and could cost £1200-£1800 pounds to repair! These cars are all less than 6 years old and there is a strong sense that this should not be happening. We would much appreciate a response from Vauxhall on this issue as soon as possible."

Perhaps you can do something similar, but better to use your own words. If all else fails, we could consider something like BBC's Watchdog.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This just in from Vauxhall...

=================
Dear Sir or Madam<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Thank you for your recent email which I received today, regarding your Vauxhall Zafira.
I can confirm that I have reviewed your comments with our Technical Department who have assured me that there are no known issues with the ABS in the Zafira model. However, may I assure you that I have noted your concerns on our Customer Care Database for future reference.
If you are experiencing a problem with the ABS in your vehicle, I recommend that your best course of action is to contact the Service Manager at your local or preferred Vauxhall dealership who will be happy to carry out an inspection on your vehicle and assist you further in this matter.
Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us and allowing me the opportunity to comment.
Yours faithfully
Becky Lancaster

Customer Service Manager
=======================================

Sounds like we should be getting some more messages to them!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the link. Here is what I have posted:

"I own a Vauxhall Zafira 2.2 Auto Petrol, 55 reg (5 years old). The traction control warning came on last week and sent the car to my local Vauxhall. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
They have said that the traction control is fault and as this affects the ABS the whole ABS system needs to be replace at a cost of £1,300 and this is only the part cost alone without taking into account labour.
I have noticed that a number of Vauxhall Zafira owners have experienced the exact same problem. This is a Vauxhall malfunctioning part and we are shocked that we have to pay the cost. I would appreciate if this issue can be explored in detail.
I'm looking forward to hear from you."

·
Registered
20 Posts
It seems to have gone a bit quiet on this topic. Does anyone have any news? My next step will be to have a chat with my local Vauxhall dealer again, but I'd like to have as much "ammunition" as possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The ESP light has come on in my 06 Zafira 1.8 Sri (YP56NRY) and my local Opel dealer (I live in Ireland) has informed me that it is due to a faulty sensor. The sensor in question is attached to the ABS hydraulic unit and cannot be purchased alone. I have been quoted €1800 for the part plus labour and VAT which I feel is ludicrously expensive. I have owned the car since June 07 (5000 miles) and covered a further 53000 trouble free miles. I replaced the front discs and pads at 52000 and I am told that the braking system is working normally and it is only the ESP function that is not working but I feel it is an important safety feature of the car and it should not have failed. I have discussed this issue online with other Zafira owners and I am not alone although Vauxhall deny that there is a problem with this system. I would like an explanation as to why this fault has occurred and I feel that Vauxhall should meet some of this huge cost. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Dave Partridge

I just posted the above on the contact page of Vauxhalls website

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got a reply Tuesday asking for full details - reg, vin no. service history etc so I sentthe info last night. No further reply just yet....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aah, interesting. Different from what they told me. Perhaps they're getting the point already. Would you keep me posted, please?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got a call on Thursday from them saying they were looking into my case and would be in touch when they have decided if they will contribute towards the cost of the repairs...!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts