Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,
I have a 02 1.8L zafira brought back in October 2020 the car was running fine no issues etc until December right be warranty ran out(garage warranty 3 months) then EML came on ran the OBDII on it and got fault codes for misfire in cylinder 3 took it back to garage they replaced coil pack driving home car broke down so had my mechanic friend look over the car replaced coil pack with a more expensive part (rather then the euro parts one garage used) car was getting to 3500 revs and stalling so he replaced camshaft sensor with new one same thing happened so replaced maff sensor same thing happened so we placed the catalytic converter and the car was running absolutely fine drove it to and from work (30 mile round trip up the A303) then following drove locally done about 10miles throughout the day went to use car same evening and the EML came on no juddering of the car/loss in power so when got home ran OBDII on it and its given me the camshaft position A sensor fault A0340( I think) when I brought the car it had replacement belt and pump put on and full MOT..with everything being changed except for the O2 sensor which I took off the old Cat could I be suffering with ECU failure the cars in good condition for its age and only just done 101k miles (98k + when I brought it) I've been reading on some of the discussions the ECU failure is a common issue with the zafira. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Russ

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is your ECU bolted to the side of the engine? early versions of this engine had it bolted to the side and they would get hot and sometimes causes them to go bad, later models like my 03 moved it higher up the engine bay on the intake manifold. Try removing the top timing belt cover, it's 3 bolts and have a look at the wire on the camshaft sensor and see if it's damaged, my one had damage on the wires when I removed mine. Does the car idle properly? accelerate properly?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your ECU bolted to the side of the engine? early versions of this engine had it bolted to the side and they would get hot and sometimes causes them to go bad, later models like my 03 moved it higher up the engine bay on the intake manifold. Try removing the top timing belt cover, it's 3 bolts and have a look at the wire on the camshaft sensor and see if it's damaged, my one had damage on the wires when I removed mine. Does the car idle properly? accelerate properly?
Idles and accelerates as normal will need to check on location of ECU and double check wires for cam sensor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Idles and accelerates as normal will need to check on location of ECU and double check wires for cam sensor
Theses are fault codes that have now come up and car is idling up n down my mechanic friend said could be a tooth out on belt or stuck EGR valve...

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe ecu is mounted at the top of the engine if it's the unit that looks like a hard drive with to connection into it? Not 100% on car engines and learning what I can from mechanic friend and hands on where I can.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did these issues just randomly happen or did you give it to a mechanic and it started playing up after that? what was the last repair a mechanic did on the car before it had issues.
I've attached a picture below of the ECU on this engine, there are 2 plugs/connectors on them. Some early z18xe engines had EGR but I think from 2001 onwards they blanked it off, since yours is 2002 I don't think it will have it.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did these issues just randomly happen or did you give it to a mechanic and it started playing up after that? what was the last repair a mechanic did on the car before it had issues.
I've attached a picture below of the ECU on this engine, there are 2 plugs/connectors on them. Some early z18xe engines had EGR but I think from 2001 onwards they blanked it off, since yours is 2002 I don't think it will have it.
Yeah I'm sure thats mounted at the top towards rear of engine will be having a proper look today in day light will check on EGR aswell and post pics

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe ecu is
They just randomly started to happen prior to that the car was mot'd and had cambelt and pump replacement that was when I brought it 2& half months later started having the issues originally it was misfire cyclinder 3 so took it back to garage they could find any issues then was misfire cyclinder 1&4 took it back they replaced coil pack then got misfires on cyclinders 1&3&4 car broke down so my mechanic friend replace coil pack with a more expensive one and then it went camshaft sensor position A fault followed by cyclinder misfires so replaced cam sensor then maff sensor and then Catalytic converter at the front end car is worked OK for few days but then codes started again..

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think you should give it to vauxhall for diagnostic or have you already done that somewhere else? I am gonna guess it may be timing belt incorrectly done or ECU is bad, could be something completely else but I think those 2 are high possibilities. Possible some wiring issue or something too, in the pic I attached have a look at the connector I circled with red and see if that is in properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
If there is any error codes and you reset it, does the codes come straight away when you idle or maybe 10-15 mins of driving or accelerating?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think you should give it to vauxhall for diagnostic or have you already done that somewhere else? I am gonna guess it may be timing belt incorrectly done or ECU is bad, could be something completely else but I think those 2 are high possibilities. Possible some wiring issue or something too, in the pic I attached have a look at the connector I circled with red and see if that is in properly.
I've have got ECU off gonna send it away to be tested the codes are still on it and when I've reset them they come back 5-10 mins of car idling and all wiring has been checked as much a possible timing belt is all tight as should be etc cars done 101k when brought it was on 98k+ and had no issues for first 2 & half months

1 - 16 of 16 Posts