Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I've a zafira 2006 1.6 , the coolant liquid keeps escaping, i do not know the source of the leak, the car is not over heating, i just added nearly 1.5 liter last week, this morning i checked the coolant reservoir , it went to the min level, last time i filled it till the Max.it drives me crazy, i checked the engine , there is no traces of leak.. could that a sign of water pump , or radiator problem, the car is 48k, where this coolant goes.....

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hi there nuflia... Welcome to the forum.

If you can't see any obvious leaks from the cooling system, try having a look under the carpets in the front footwell.... If there is a leak from a pinhole in the heater matrix or from the metal pipe to rubber hose type connections through the front bulkhead, the footwellis where the liquid will probably collect and you will find that you have a soggy layer of insulation. If it's dry in the footwell that's good 'cos it probably means that there is no leakage from this side of the bulkhead and you should look back under the bonnet! If your engine is getting hotter than usual, because of an obstruction in the natural flow of air through the radiator for instance, you can get more evaporation through the overflow as the pressure rises in the system - also check the operation of your pressure cap on the radiator. If it is releasing at too low a pressure, you will loose excessive amounts of coolant.

Good luck with the detection...! Cheers... Robin

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi,

the first place I'd check is in the OIL filler cap and see if there's any Emulsion on the cap and underside of the spout, as that would tell you whether or not your Head Gasket has blown and the water is mixing with the Oil via the water and Oil passageways in the engine Block/Head.

There are other telltale signs of a blow (depending on how bad it is) with quite a lot of water vapour coming from the Exhaust long after you'd expect warming up condensation to have gone away.

If you're seeing a significant amount of water disappearance then it's likely you'd have a much lower level of performance from your engine, and I'd have expected to see a Fault light from your ECU showing that one or more sensors had found something amiss. Are there any fault codes showing ?

You should also only be looking for a leak when the Engine is well heated up, and you may only see a small jet of steam by the time you've stopped and lifted the bonnet, unless you want to try it with the engine at idle until it's at about 100 degrees.
Watch out for the pressure cap failing and water coming out of your Blow-off tube. If it's coming from there you'd never see it, as it would be all over the road with no evidence left by the time you'd stopped and parked up.

You could have a look under the Belt Cover to see if there's any evidence of Rust Brown staining on the block under the water pump, or even from the pump spindle bearing. Small leaks can be evaporated off long before they form a trickle which would drip off the lower part of the block and sump pan. Having no sight of it on a covered up belt area doesn't mean there isn't a leak in this instance.

So you now have a few areas you can look at, let us know how you get on mate.

Stew

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
</font>Robin and Stew, many thanks for answering me, I really appreciate that<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

</font>the first time I noticed that was when my heating did not work, it was
working when I bought the car and in few days it stopped working, there was no
heating even if i turn the temperature scale to high, when i opened the bonnet
and then saw the coolant reservoir level is low, I could not see any level even
when I put my fingers inside the reservoir, the coolant reservoir drained completely,
i was worried, i may have a cooling problem in my car.

</font>The days later i kept observing the level it was the same no signs of coolant.

i bought a new coolant with antifreeze and added the level till the Max
level, right away my heating was working well, but the coolant disappeared now,
it looks something related to heater matrix ..

</font>i am not sure of any trace of wetness beneath my foot well

could not notice ant extra smoke form the tail, the engine seems working
well, no degradation in the performance , no error code, temperature seems
normal, no fault indication

</font>Thanks guys for the help

</font>Waiting for the opinion

</font>Nuflia

</font>

·
Registered
280 Posts
One thing is for certain, It's going somewhere !

Have you run it till it's at Max Temp and looked at the rad Overflow pipe yet ?

or

Looked underneath when it reaches Max Temp to see if there are any traces of a leak ?

Stew

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi Stewno , how can i run it to the max temperature , the problem in the car dashboard , there is no temperature indicator..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Really ?

OK, park on your drive or in the street and let it idle with a Correct level of coolant in the header tank, and let it come up to temperature (you'll know when that is because the Fan will run).

By that time it will have reached a hot enough stage for you to spot something untoward, especially the level dropping suddenly out of the header tank.

Keep your eyes on the Rad/Coolant overflow pipe, under the Engine and out of the exhaust.

It's gotta be going somewhere !

Stew

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there is one thing, is there any relation between the reducing of the level in the reservoir and heating inside the car ..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well, yes but it depends on just how much water has disappeared.

If you lose a lot, then there won't be enough to get through the heater matrix, in which case it'll become cooler or off completely.

Stew

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hiwhat i did , i filled in the coolant reservoir till the Max level , and then run the car and was observing the level and see if there is any leak form the flexible hoses or any connection , i waited till the fan started working and every thing was fine, the level just reduced a little bit, i stopped the car and came after 2 hours i found the level reduced nearly 1 cm , so the water going some where , i could not see any water beneath the car, i am even worried where this water is going..

·
Registered
280 Posts
1cm isn't a huge lot, and probably just enough to fill an air lock once the pump got going.

Hopefully you'll spot it coming out somewhere.

did you check the Oil Filler Cap for emulsion ?

Stew

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i checked the oils stick, no signs of water , one thing the tail was releasing some smoke, guess it's normal and was dripping some water...i made a mark where the level is, and will check tomorrow morning is there any more leak

·
Registered
280 Posts
How long did the smoke from your exhaust and dripping water stay present ?

If it stayed like it even after the engine cooling fan cut in, you may well have a blown head gasket.

Stew

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i am not sure about this,, you mean normally we get this smoke when the car is run, and when the fan has cut off the smoke should stop, usually people say when car drips some water from its tail, it is a sign of car being good.. the oil seems good, no signs of water, the car just has 48k

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had a similar problem with a passat, coolant levels dropping, intermittent heating etc

It was head gasket failure I'm afraid, cooling system was being over pressurised by a failed head gasket, which stopped heating and caused the cooling system to vent from the header tank
Theyre was no oil contamination nor any overheating or signs of excessive smoke which threw me initially aswell

First thing I would do though would be to check there is flow from your water pump into the header tank, it is a possibility it is the water pump not circulating causing the issues

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had this on a Vectra and on my 1.6 Zaf life.
The vectra was the underside of a joint on the heater matrix and was just seeping, and the zaf was a hole in the back or the radiator from a rubbing wire, and it was evaporating immediately so I couldn't see it.
To find it I just squeezed one of the radiator hoses (with the engine cold) and saw a fine spray come from the radiator.
To fix, I used the same stuff I used on the vectra with the same great results. K-Seal. Brilliant stuff.
(no I'm not a sales-man)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
280 Posts
nuflia said:
i am not sure about this,, you mean normally we get this smoke when the car is run, and when the fan has cut off the smoke should stop, usually people say when car drips some water from its tail, it is a sign of car being good.. the oil seems good, no signs of water, the car just has 48k
All Cars have white smoke when they are really cold on the first start
of the day, it's condensation from the Hot Exhaust gasses hitting Cold
elements in the Exhaust train, and then causing condensation into water
vapour.

This stops when your exhaust elements become hotter as the engine continues to run, thereby making the surfaces the same or close to the temperature of the exiting gasses and no Condensation can occur.
This is normal.

If
the white smoke (steam/water vapour) continues when the exhaust is up
to temperature then it means you have water vapour in the exhaust gasses
from the combustion chamber.
This is NOT normal !

It means that the combustion chamber has access to water (through the poor gasket seal) into the Chamber.

Generally
it's got to be a bad blow to get this far, and your water system would
be blown to **** before this occurred, as you'd have the Explosion in
the affected Cylinders pressurising your water system way beyond what
would normally be the case.

In the two other replies you had just a while ago, one mentioned water flow from your pump to the header tank, do you know if the tank is getting hot when your engine is hot ???

One other thing you could try is to use a Rad Leak sealer, which would seal up any small hole you had anywhere in the system, but you should wait until the system is completely warmed through before you use it with your heater matrix turned to Max Heat and Max Fan.

Do you actually know how to safely take the Pressure Cap off your header Tank when it's hot?

There is one thing to check before you do anything else though .......... Is your radiator hot at the top, or still Cold and the Bottom Hot ?

If the Engine is hot and the Rad top is Cold (and the bottom is hot) it means you have a failed Thermostat and it isn't letting hot water through to the top of your Rad.

Stew

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks all guys for the replies, i much appreciate that..what happens today, this morning i saw the level decreased a bit, after running the car and travelling to work, 9 mils , i checked the header tank, i saw the level is higher than the MAx level,, then before going home at 4;30 i checked the level i found it decreasing nearly 1.5 cm....when i reached home after half an hour i found the level decreasing a bitany way, the most things worrying me is the head gasket ,what you are trying to say Stew is to check the thermostat by comparing the temperature in the engine with the radiator top or bottom., what i noticed, the fanwas workingwhen the engine gets hoti never checked theradiatortemperaturetop or bottomcomparingto the engine.i will caheck the level again tomorrow and see if itdecreaseswhilethe car parking

1 - 20 of 110 Posts