Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Zafira (2003) for 7 years, done 127000 km. Now starting with it just cutting out while I am driving, not very pleasant. Any suggestions? Mechanic says I need a new ECU- is this possible?

·
Registered
13 Posts
we changed the egr valve along with half the engine but still no joy reckon now ecu but no guarantees plus £££££££££££££ keep you posted and welcome to the forum mate!! loads of useful info on this one

·
Registered
98 Posts
<div ="msg">
Try this and see how you get on.....

If you took it into a dealer they'll bill you £80 to plug in laptop. STOP! Try this........

Arm
yourself with a pen and some paper. Get into your Zaffy and before you
put the key into the ignition make sure that you press the brake pedal
and the accelerator to the floor as far as they will go.

Then turn the key on until the dash board lights come on but DONT START THE CAR

Wait 2 sec and keep the pedals down to the floor and the service light under the management light should start flashing

it will initially flash 4 times leaving 1 or 2 second space representing each number

Zero gets 10 flashes

for exampleP0110

the light will flash ten times Break (2sec Or 1 not sure) then once, (2sec) once again, then ten

If there are more than one code it will stop for a break then gives the next code.

However if you don't have any code stored it will start Flashing and keeps on flashing until you release the pedals.

It should give you a 6 digit number with ECN displayed where the mileage normally is.

Check out this site for the code meanings.

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=250554

Ignore the ECN and P numbers. You only need the 4 digits.

If
this fails, turn on your radio. Then hold down the SETTINGS button
until you hear a beep. Then press the BC button to scroll through the
ECU diagnostics screen. The fault codes should be at the end of the
list. All the codes before it refer to Hardware, Software, Temp sensor
voltages etc. The codes you need should start ECN.

Even Vauxhall dealers don't know these methods. It will save you some serious cash, hopefully.

Let me know how things go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, new here but my Zaffy keeps cuttin out too. Its an 02. Usually happens when stopping at roundabouts, sometimes the engine is still running but all dash lights come on and no power. And sometimes it cuts out all together and takes 3 or 4 attempts to start it again, but after a rest its fine for a week or 2 then it does it again. Gonna go try the thing with the pen, paper n pedals now, but if anyone has an ideas in the meantime I'd love to hear :) Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I am new as well - just registered today.
I have a Zafira Design 1.5 2005 Model and I am experiencing the same problem. It keeps cutting out at times.

I called Vauxhall Dealer and they said to book it in for inspection and go from there, the inspection will Cost ££.££.

It seems we are not the only one - all you have to do is GOOGLE "Vauxhall Zafira Cutting Out" and you will see there are lots owners experiencing similar problem.

Further, It does not stop there - similar problem occurs in other makes of Vauxhall cars (Merivia?)
you only have to watch the BBC Watchdog program via the link here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/01/vauxhall_cars_that_suddenly_lo.html.

I have emailed the Vauxhall Customer care and see what they have to say.

In summary, I will try out what the fastjetfixer says (as above) - pen .. paper and Pedals and Codes ??

Ideally Vauxhall must know what the issue is and have not bothered to recall.
If I do not get any joy - than that is IT ..

I am filing a divorce with my Zafira

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine still cuts out at roundabouts now and again, and on saturday I was driving down the A1 and it decided it had had enough and cut out then too. In the middle of the motorway, grrrr. No faults found, no codes come up, no wires trapped. Nothing wrong apparently... So doI get rid of it? Or just hope it doesn't do it again? Starting to not trust the car now even though I do love it. But I have my 2 young children in the car with me alot of the time and it was quite scary when it just died on the motorway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi fella i had the same problem with my zafira and we tried all sorts to solve it and in the end its was the electronic throttle aka the pedal was a fault got replacement from the local breakers yard changed and bobs your uncle all been fine ever since
but we tried a whole host of things first and did all sorts what the dealer had said hope this helps bud

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi i have the similar problem anything over 60 miles hour it cuts out but when i am going round town i have no problems at all it only when i go over 60 it starts to act its self i get low power then it dies i get no warning coming up just goes dead had it tested with machines nothing comes back its really got me confused my zafira is 1,6 1999 any help or advice would be a great help txs very much

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

I'm had the same problem with my Zafira 1.6 2001, mine cuts out pulling up at junctions, traffic lights and behind a cue of traffic, since I brought in July 2011, It don't do it all the time, it stared again last week, the last time was Dec 2012 & prior to that it was may 2012 time. Its funny it seems to do when the weather gets warmer.

I blanked the EGR Valve off Monday this week, was OK until Wednesday, then cut out out twice within a mile or so. So yesterday a got a can of carb/throttle body cleaner, took air box of and gave it a really good spay. I did notice the pipe that go's from the air box to the top of the engine was really gunged up. Done about 60 miles so far and cars been ok, not getting my hopes yet,lol

What can I try next if problem continues.

Edited by: nealey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts