Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
right, here's my first post. I'm pretty happy with the car I bought and am now more familiar with it and what should be happening. One of the niggles I have is that when I turn the ignition on I thought all the warning lights switch on for a few seconds, however, the following lights don't seem to turn on :
1. Seatbelt light - no audio tone as well2. Airbag light3. ABS light - I spoke to the garage about this and there is a cable that is broken on the front hub, but I would have thought the light would at least stay on continuously if this was the case ?
Any help would be appreciated as to where to look as I don't have £££ to take to dealer garage initially - all of the fuses look ok, but then again, I'm not sure if any are missing in both the main fuse box and the engine bay fuse box. Using the pedal trick to check for codes just keeps flashing (I assume this means no error codes recorded)
- Are these items that could have been programmed out in the ECU ?
- If this is an issue with the instument panel, can it just be replaced with (say) a used ebay one, or does it need to be divorced in ECU first (I'm assuming the mileage is not stored in the instrument cluster but read from the ECU as opposed to the trip mileage)
CheersNicKT

·
Registered
300 Posts
blown bulbs/removed bulbs?,has someone removed them because there is a fault with the system,run a diagnostic check to see if all's working right or you could be paying an awful lot out next mot as all lights must be working.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi all, thanks for the replies. Ok, I've done some more digging around diagnostics shows that the airbag circuits are all ok (within expected ohm range and consistent) The fault codes were cleared and do not report any more.
This led me to the instrument panel. I took this out and stripped it down to find that someone before had tampered with the panel (broken lugs were a dead giveaway) They had stuck a sharp instrument through the top of the indicator light and had removed the diode that lights up for the abs system. I have now replaced the instrument panel (as the damage was too much to repair) and now find that the light works and turns off after a few seconds as it should. My temperature gauge is also now working - bonus.
In terms of the seatbelt warning light, the instrument cluster for this model doesn't have an LED installed, but no so much a bit deal as the airbags were.
ABS - I need to find a proper garage methinks. I did some more digging around the car and under the bonnet (also ECU) and I cannot find any evidence of this car ever having ABS fitted, so to say I just need a new speed sensor wouldn't have got an non-existent ABS working again, and I don't think it's worth the expense to look at it as an after fit.
So, problem solved, but I'm annoyed that this could have put the safety of my family at risk - that as well as cannibalising the circuit board haven't gone down well. Just wish the previous owner could have been a little honest about it - at least I would have known what I'm dealing with
Oh, and the last thing I had to replace as well was the rear wiper motor as the previous owner had broken the wiper off the back (so though it was just a new stalk job) only to find that they had also broken the plastic mounting bracket inside the rear door. Warning here, you can't just buy the bracket - you need to buy the whole new motor ...
Other than that, car is now running as I would expect it to and suits the purpose for which it was bought :)
CheersNickt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts