Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just bought a '99 1.6 16v for a very reasonable price - took it out for a long run yesterday and I found out why!! It's been great around town but after approx fifty miles the engine died, driving at about 45mph, pulled over, tried to start it - spun over but no attempt to fire. A couple of minutes later fired up & drove OK.......For five miles - then repeated the procedure.............and every five to ten miles thereafter. Stopped for a couple of hours and then it was fine again to drive 20 miles home. It felt like an ignition problem (poss something getting hot then cooling enough to go 'til it warmed up again??). Anyone had this problem?? Help would be much appreciated.Cheers, Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A big thank you to rick45. Took the car out & drove for an hour last week, engine died, removed fuel cap, almighty whoosh & engine restarted immediately.Left the cap off & drove for two & half hours today - no problem.So I think you're right Rick - is this a common problem with a tank breather or do I just drill a 1.5mm hole in the cap??Cheers & thanks again, Andy

·
Registered
300 Posts
hi molehillno dont drill owt, there should be a breather tube that fixes to the filler pipe, try getting a lenght of wire up it from underneath the car and give it a good poking out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts