Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The DPF on my 56 Zafira 1.9 CDTi has gone and dealer prices are a bit high and was wondering of any one had bought of Ebay and know of a decent seller.

I know there pattern but at over 2/3 of the price of a dealer look good deal

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have looked around a few Vauxhall sites and apparently a good tested fix for this is to take off the DPF, drop it into a wheelie bin filled with hot water and a bag of caustic soda. Leave overnight then jet wash the crud out of it.Pop it back on and hey presto.

I only say this as I am about to buy a 1.9 CDTi this Saturday. Having 2nd thoughts now with most sites and one in particular that mentions this problem. Apparently they also have issues with water pump seizures that eat the cambelt and then the engine eats itself.

Hope the fix works buddy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not sure. But there needs to be enough water to cover the whole DPF, hence the wheelie bin.I am not sure how much soda to use and can't find the quantity. Boots do 500g bags. Reckon that will work. Add the crystals to the water not the other way around if you value your eyesight.

WORD OF WARNING: WEAR GOGGLES AND GLOVES. CAUSTIC SODA IS NASTY STUFF!

It's the same stuff that gets used to clean drains so disposal is pretty much pour down the drain but certainly follow that up with a few buckets of fresh water. Or you can try and can it and take it down your local tip. Give them a ring first just to make sure.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this the filter that will go wrong if theZaffy(Diesel) is not used more often? If yes may I know why please? Coz we're supposed to get an automatic at first they recommended the diesel but when they found out that we dont use the car more often or travel..they suggested not to go with the diesel due tothis "filter" (really dont know what it is) coz the diesel must be used as often as possible..Is this true?

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Diesels are prone to the EGR valve cloggin and the DPF getting caked in carbon. The Zaff has a system that dumps more fuel into the engine to increase the exhaust air temp which in turn burns off these carbon deposits. Unfortunately this DPF 'regeneration' only occurs when you are doing over 50 mpg for over 20 minutes. If the engine is turned off too soon (i.e halfway through its 20 minute cycle) it will try to restart when you start the engine next. Again it is totally reliant on you doing a longer journey.

Hopes this helps you understand the decision the garage made.

·
Registered
300 Posts
shove the full bag of soda in the hot water and stand clear of it, even in cold water it will get red hot and burn you,
dont forget the rubber gloves.
rick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All sorted, left it overnight and car is running again.

I flushed it with water both ends.

Any one know how to force it to regenerate as its nippy again in high gears but has a small lag before responding in first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, just been alerted to this thread via daily email. I've got dpf/egr issues at present on my Zaf B SRi 150 cdti which clearly need sorting asap. I've noted the suggested cleaning method for the dpf, but where is it located on the vehicle and is it possible for a novice non-mechanical type (me!!) to remove and re-fit or does it need to go into a garage for a mechanic to deal with?

Also, while I'm on, I've seen talk on the site in other threads about removal of dpf entirely and (I think) blanking off the egr valve and re-programming the ECU. Is this a solution to the whole dpf problem and related egr issues with diesel Zaf B's? If so, it is easily done; who can carry out the work, and will it create other emissions issues come MOT time?

Any input gratefully received.

Cheers

Holdie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The DPF is part of the exhaust. I took mine to a local garage and paid £25 for removal and refitting.

T bought caustic soda from boots 4X500G and left it over night submerged in a wheelie bin.

In the morning I hosed it down including putting the water through the diesel feed line as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The EGR can be removed completely but with mixed results. Some ECUs will function fine and some will register a fault. There us no way of knowing which way it's going to go without trying though.

The EGR can be removed cleaned and refitted without issue usually or even replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine goes quite a lot in particular on short journeys or when your up and down the gears regularly, it comes on and flashes, you may also find the engine idles up and down, i find a 18 to 20 mile journey cleans it out and sorts it everytime, and this was also recommeneded in a manual by vauxhall and dealerships too

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi been reading about all the D P F problems folk are having I have a vauxhall with a DPF my last 12.000mls have all been short trips town driving once a week a 20ml trip on motorway and not once have I seen the DPF light come on iv been using an additive that keeps the DPF Happy & clean I'm selling my vauxhall for a petrol version in the next week iv still got a few twin packs of the DPF additive left 1 pack has 2 100ml botts each one is enough to treat 2 full tanks I use this as a Prentative. Iv read all the reviews about it and it's certainly works for me and others the twin pack is now out of stock and a 435ml bottle is now on sale but it more exspensive and you only need to use when required if any one is intrested I can point them in the right direction to the site please send me you info and ill private message you the site I'm only wanting to help you and keep your costs and problems down

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys I have a 1.7cdti zafira b it's the ecoflex model I have read your comments. About using costic soda on your dpf filters my dpf is completely blocked just wondering whether it would work on my car thanks martin

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you tried a manual regen on it?
If you have Opcom make sure you double check the sensors before touching it with a spanner. I replaced my DPF because the light came on but it turned out the sensor at the front was faulty preventing the car from doing an auto regen.
Cost me nearly £300 for an aftermarket DPF when my own was probably OK.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts