Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newb looking to get rid of my veccy for a Zaffy as I have another child on the way and need the space but not sure what to go for. Would like to know peoples opinions on whether I should be getting a DTI SRI or GSI. I don't commute far for work but do an 80 mile round trip every other weekend.
Edited by: NeilS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Depends on what u want, a quick one or some thing that will give good mpg or something in the middle. I had a 2.0 DTI SRI which was good on handling but not very quick if I am honest. The petrol SRI is quicker and if sensible will return reasonable mpg or I had a 05 plate GSI for 6 months before it was stolen off the drive one night. That will put a smile on your face but a dent in your wallet. Unless you are very sensible 20-25 mpg average. You will get more on the motorway if sensible but u don't buy a gsi to be sensible or for the economy. The GSI is the only one you will get excited about driving and the SRI will have the same body kit which looks cool. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ifyour a millionaire and the price of fuel is not important to you at all then by all means get a petrol zaffy...If however the price of fuel does matter to you, then get a 2.0 DTi.Not only are Mk1 (A) zaffys real cheap to buy thesedays butthey are also slightly bigger on the inside than mk2 (B) zaffys (51" wide across the rear inside vs 49") the bottom of the reardoor is wider allowingbetter load access and the 2.0 DTi lump hasan ultra reliable chain driven camshaft, so unlike the petrol versions and the later diesel zaffys,you will never have to worry about a timing belt snapping unpredictably and totally destroying your cylinder head and costing youumpteen hundreds of pounds in repair bills.OK, so the 2.0 DTi's are notdesigned to be racing cars but they can sureshift if you slam your foot down, albiet with a consequent loss in fuel economy.Drive a 2.0 DTi with care though and you can easily average 50mpg, double what a petrol zaffy zaffy can manage.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would say gsi, but i onky use it two days a week so protencial and nice to drive but it up to u. Cheers ray

·
Registered
15 Posts
Go gsi I'd say dont think you do enough miles to warrant buying a diesel to be honest plus the dti's are really underpowered at around 90 -100 bhp

·
Registered
280 Posts
As a spectator to this post, and only having ever owned a 1.8 Manual Petrol A series, I don't have any experience of any of the cars you suggest you'd like to own.

But the answer lies in a lot that you don't actually say. For instance, what is your driving style ?

Are you a lead foot driver who likes the sound of an engine and getting to the next set of lights is paramount ?

Or are you a sedate driver giving your passengers a comfortable ride but you like to know there's plenty of power there to get you out of a fix if you need it ?

I had exactly the same dilemma when I bought mine, and had the choice of three cars -
A 1.6 very clean and had a terrible record for parts fitted (now I know that meant it had Limp problems etc. and I'm glad I didn't choose it) but it would have been the most frugal with petrol, unless you drive it every day like Mansell trying to wring the last bit of power out of it.

A GSI which had been attacked by a Body Styling Genius (he was a genius with Music - not Cars) and it would have taken me about a month of hard work to return it to a sensible state and about an extra £600 to have it resprayed in that lovely Blue colour. I'd also have had to drive it sensibly most of the time and only giving it a bag-o-beans every now and then to get the devil out of my blood.
I thought this was a tragic state of affairs for such a thoroughbred and left it to the guys who could afford to drive it as it should.

My third choice was the 1.8 petrol manual, and I'm truly impressed with it, as the Twinc is a real performer, and even with my heavy right foot it gives me 30mpg average with a mixed cycle of journeys every month. Under £60 for every three hundred miles.
The performance is really good when you open the throttle, and I've surprised quite a few people in cars they assumed would be the quickest. The body roll is not too bad when you've gotten used to it and it does handle well for what is essentially a Family Bus.
The ride is firm without being uncomfortable and with a set of After Market Alloys and some wider rubber on the road it should be even better handling wise.

I presume the Badging is important to you as you only mention the top ranges of the marque, but an unbadged version will still give you a lot of pleasure knowing that the 1.8 will still perform well and not kill your wallet stone dead.

Whatever you choose let us know, and have fun with it - Good Luck Mate

Stew

·
Registered
6 Posts
its not about badges. spec, power, looks and re-sale value put the gsi miles ahead of any other zaf to date.. My ones de-badged!!! Lol

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a 160HP diesel Rover, a 2.9 diesel Kia and a 1.4 petrol rover as well as the 2.0 Dti. Although the 160 is powerful with or without a load, one up or with 6 people in it, the Zafira is not bad at all. The petrol Rover is zippy and really nice to drive, but one has to really use the gears. I have yet to see what the MPG is on the Zafira but has to be better than my Rover 160Hp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dti is sitting on drive with engine in back garden. Crankshaft snapped, bought another engine last week & that had snapped crankshaft too. It seems to be related to the flywheel going wrong. Still looking for an engine!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts