Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi,
I am new to this forum, so please bare with me.
I have recently bought a 2007 B model Zafira. I am very pleased with the car, but I have had one problem with a leak from the exhaust manifold.
It all started a couple days after a bought the car. I noticed a blowing noise from the exhaust, so I popped down to my local ATS centre to get it checked out. They were very helpful. One of their guys spent 30 minutes on the car trying to find the leak. It was finally confirm as a leak from a crack on the exhaust manifold. This could only be seen once the manifold heat shield had been removed. As I am aware manifold replacements are not cheap, I jokingly said, I suppose it could be worse, it could have been thecatalyst, to then be told my the ATS centre manager, I am sorry sir, the cat is part of the manifold. Once I got up off the floor, he priced up the job for me. A new replacement cat & manifold would be £450 including VAT and fitting. I said I would have to think about it. In case I decided not to go ahead, I offered to pay for their time anddiagnosis. Even though he know I may not be back, he did not charge me.
I went home and phoned my local Vauxhall dealer for a price, to be told, if all went well, with no rusty fixings etc, they would do the job for £815 including VAT.
I then looked at other options. One being to remove the manifold myself and getting it welded up. Or the other, to try to repair it without removal. As I had very little to loose, and less time consuming, I explored the latter.
I did not even know if this was possible. So I decided to surf the net to find out, and to my surprise there was. On Monday night I ordered a product called ThermoSteel, made by a company called CarGo, and I bought it on line from a retailer called Repair Products Limited, for £12 including delivery. It arrived this morning. With moderate mechanical knowledge, I managed to fix the crack in the manifold in a couple of hours. The product is like liquid metal glue, that once applied only requires the heat of the engine to cure.
It has without a doubt cured the leak, as for its robustness anddurability, only time will tell. I am not saying it is the bestsolution, but given current times, it was the best option for me.
I hope someone else may benefit from my story.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds like a good temporary fix. If i'd have known that a few years ago I could have patched up my Corsa.

Had AA confirm within 2 minutes that my exhaust manifold was cracked in two places. Took it to Vauxhall and told them to service the car and replace the manifold. Got the vehicle back at the end of the day and it was still blowing. They said they had 4 mechs look it over, do leak checks and found nothing wrong. I have heard Kazoos make less noise!

Not only that they had replaced the rear brake shoes and refitted the adjustable bars the wrong way round. Meaning as I was carrying out any braking maneuver this bar was loosening off. I ended up with no rear braking at one point. Then found they had overtightened the wheel bearing. That collapsed 200 miles away from home with no breakdown cover. When I asked them about all the faults they shrugged their shoulders and said there is no maintenance manual, they just wing it.
Shocking!

One **** of a sob story but it means I will never take my motor back to Vauxhall.

Thanks for the fix info. I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi MateI have the same problem but I am struggling to get the heat shield offplease can you advise me how you did itmany thanksCraig

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine had suffered such poor corrosion it was pretty much laying on top and came off in my hands. Sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts