Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post! I've had a search for this topic, but found nothing - so here goes...

I have a slightly broken (slightly = a wee bit snapped off the bottom, so the only symptom was the rattle from this piece jumping around!) front coil spring. As my Zaf is a 63k miler, I think I owe it new front springs and shocks.

Ok, I've short-listed Bilsteins and Monroes for the shocks as they are both well known and respected makes, and very similarly - and decently - priced.

1st Q - any preference between them?! Or, any other makes I should consider for around the same price (£120 pair)?

And, springs... Where is a good place to source these, and again does anyone have any preference /suggested brands? (I've seen lots of makes such as: KYB (Kayaba), AMK, Kilen, QH, GBA Premier, Lesjofor...) Any thoughts?

(All suspension parts to be 'standard'.)

Finally, on the technical side, when replacing a strut with a similar standard one, will there be any change to the camber - Ie: will this need to be reset or do the bolt-holes in the hubs simply match up with those in the bottom of the struts so no change should occur?

Thanks for any advice!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
im running bilsteinshocks on mine all round and very pleased with them,im using apex springs with 30 mm drop,but not impressed with rear springs as they dont sit tight enough on bottomspring locators and could be subject to moving slightly,don't give me that feeling of confidence,fronts ok tho,but they are 'dropped' and u are lookin for standard,standard shocks dont give u the option to adjust camber so bolts go back exactly as u removed them,i'm guessing that if u go further up bilstein range u do get this option but do u need to introduce negative camber to road going vehicle unless u r doing loadsa trackdays in it ??? bilstein range is vast and so are prices,mine were oe replacement/20% uprated and are nice n stiff with uprated springs, regards chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, fatta - very useful reply.

You've answered the main Q - that the camber shouldn't change as I'm replacing with std shocks which should only have 2 holes!

I'd hoped - and suspected - that this would be the case, but bludy typical Haynes manual with its 'mark position of lower mounting so's the camber can be reset to the same place...' type malarkey just adds worry and confusion.

(It did the same with what should have been the very simple task of replacing the rear pads; "align piston slot with notch on calliper". This was accompanied by a blurred B&W photo which showed precisely bu%%er-all. What's worse, this 'aligning' process needs to be done AFTER the **** piston has been pushed back into the calliper - but the instruction was given before. And then "Piston must be rotated when pushed in." Ok, thanks for that - but how often or quickly or how many revs?! Aaaaarrgghhh - sorry, just needed to get that off my chest!)

Good stuff - I'm keeping things standard so hopefully it'll be as simple a task as it appears. I'm either getting Bilsteins from lmfvauxhall or Monroes direct from. (I'm swayed towards Monroes as I'm Scottish and they're also a nice blue colour...)

Thanks.

Anyone else like to comment on choice and source of springs?!</font>

·
Registered
56 Posts
didn't know monroes were scottish !!! but i hear u !
bislteins just plain black with sticker-u will need caliper wind in tool for rear brakes/calipers,made by lazer on ebay or m/factor £15 ish

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, faffa.

I managed the rear pads ok, with a tool I cobbled together in the garage. I made sure it also gave a gentle rotation to the piston. (Again, how much rotation should it be given?!) It seems to have worked, and all is well in the braking department again. Mind you, for £15, it would have been easier to buy...!

(Scottish Monroes are mountains of a height greater than 3,000'!!)

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
running bilsteinshocks on mine all round and very pleased with
them,im using apex springs with 30 mm drop,but not impressed with rear
springs as they dont sit tight enough on bottomspring locators and
could be subject to moving slightly,don't give me that feeling of
confidence,fronts ok tho,but they are 'dropped' and u are lookin for
standard,standard shocks dont give u the option to adjust camber so
bolts go back exactly as u removed them,i'm guessing that if u go
further up bilstein range u do get this option but do u need to
introduce negative camber to road going vehicle unless u r doing loadsa
trackdays in it ??? bilstein range is vast and so are prices,mine were
oe replacement/20% uprated and are nice n stiff with uprated springs,
regards chris
party dresses

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the confirmation about the camber not being affected.

Got my shcoks (std Monroes for £124/pair) and springs (Lesofors (sic?) for around £66/pair) and new top mounts for £14/pair. So, around £200 for everything, and decent known makes too. Pleased with that.

Will be tackling this very soon

(Oh, the shocks and mounts were from the monroeshop.co.uk and the springs from a dealer on eBay.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts