Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've got a zafira 2010 1.6l.

been measuring the fuel economy.. or not in this case..

for 12 (£15)litres of fuel I'm getting about 60 miles.. this works out at 22mpg.
now this is town driving and my driving style is very conservative, highest gear asap, no high revs. avoiding sharp breaking..

Can anyone help me as this is costing a fortune.
thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fuel economy goes up progressively until you reach about 55mph. When your speed drops below 20mph fuel economy drops off <!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:DonotOptimizeForBrowser/>
</w:Word>
<!-->considerably. With the high price of fuel I have been doing alot of research into fuel economy recently, and apart from what you have already been doing the only other bits of advice seem to be ensuring you have no additional weight in your car and depending on if your mileage is high (unlikely on your age car) make sure servicing is carried out.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car has only 12k on the clock.. I'm not sure if it's had its first service, although there is a stamp in the service manual but no details of what's been done.. I read that a fuel filter change may help... dont know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Definitely do not make the engine labour or struggle. Keep revs between 1500 and 3000 and use a gear that lets the engine run under light load. Drive like a motorcyclist - progressively - this means reading the road aghead and using the engine to slow (no fuel used) down as often as you can. It requires a state of mind with a lot of concentration, but stay calm and think of the pennies/pounds you will save. My Zaf 1.6 club petrol 53 plate is driven like this and even with motorway and the Derbyshire moors and all my family and dog in I have not yet returned less that 38mpg, my best being 42.4mpg! I do have to put with the comments from the missus that I drive too slowly though - hey ho! It's worth it!

Motoring!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts