Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All
My first post!
We have a 1.6i 55 Club which has served us well these past 3 years, doing 3000 per year, with mileage at 56000. I must say, overall we are really happy with the Zafira, which returns a decent 37mpg and has lots of storage - handy for the kidz holidays. Handles like a dream, although with a 1.6 takes a little patience to get going.
This week, a 'whining' noiseoccurswhen driving, in any of the forward gears. It stops when you take the foot of accelerator, and when you press the clutch when driving. When reengaging clutch theres a slight shudder and then drives fine, except for the whining noise which continues. No loss of power at all, with handling and engine ticking along fine. No warning lights come on.
A local reputable garage took it for a spin and instantly diagnosed a dodgy gearbox. They advise a refurb gearbox be fitted, which will be around £900. They have been very helpful, but are quite sure its a new gearbox required, Given the cost, I wanted a 2nd opinion.
I've phoned the local VX dealer, who wants £93.07p per hour to diagnose, with at least 3 hours work required - so nearly £300 for testing. Then a new gearbox could be between £1200 and £2000. This isnt helpful.
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Ive typed the symptoms into google and there similar problems but not really the same.
Is there anything I can do to narrow down the problem? As far as I can see, there is not a way of testing there is oil in the gearbox/clutch.
If I looked underneath, what abnormalities could I look for?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
30 Posts
if you can , let any gearbox oil still in it out and refil with the right amount. its not a hard job to do , but you need to get underneath while the car is level to get the right amount in. a garage shouldnt charge to much to do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
slave cylinder taking a beating inside ur gearbox mate, happend at work with me the other day, got through 3 slaves before it stopped mangling them up, cant be your gearbox who ever is saying that dont know sh*t, drop ur subframe take ur box out and have a look inside it, not a hard job, where are u based ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts