Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im new to this forum having just brought a 2007 zafira 1.6 energy, so I hope your able to help me with a few questions I have.

This may sound like a pretty dumb question but...

1)I was wondering why have vauxhall done away with the spare tyre mounted underneath the car and replaced it with a tyre repair kit (that i imagine will be useless if you have a knakered tyre).

2) I want to put a spare wheel cage underneath the car complete with spare wheel as having a young family will be easier to have a spare wheel than call out the AA.
Iwas wondering how easy it would be to buy a second hand wheel cage and fit this to the underside of the car?
And I am also wanting to fit a towbar and wondered if there wouldbe enough clearance between the spare wheel cage and towbar sub frameas im guessing the spare wheel cage would drop down towards the rear of the car?

I know these are no doubt silly questions but it is my 1st zafira and im un-familliar with vauxhalls and underside mounted spare wheel cages.

I really hope someone is able to help me with my questions.

thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi, i dont thik you can fit a carrier to it due to the rear floor level. the earlier zafira(i have a 2001 model) has a recess underneath the car to allow the tyre to be carried above suspension level for adequate ground clearance. i am sure if you tried to fit one 1. it would hit the floor over speed bumps etc and 2. you would not be able to fit a tow bar.

All i can suggest is do what a friend of mine has done with a similar car and that is to get a second hand steel wheel that will fit the same size tyre and put it in the boot with a jack and wheel brace. Yes it is a bit awkward but at least you have a spare if you ever need one and even with the rear most seats up the wheel should still fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, sorry for the long delay in replying.

I looked underneath the car and there is a definate recess where the spare wheel cage can go, as I have seen zafiras of the same age with then mounted underneath so im assuming that there will be enough ground clearance and allow access but i will have another look and check to make sure before going ahead if i do. Thanks for the warning tho as like I said this is my 1st zafira and am unsure.

out of curiosity why would I not be able to fit a tow bar if i mounted a underside spare wheel cage? I have fitted a tow abr on a renault scenic and it goes width ways across the rear before running down the car towards the front!

Hope this makes sence as my mind has gone completly blank haha.

I appreciate any help I can get.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts