Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from a Brit in Germany who has just realised his car related internet forum days are not yet over!

I'm here in the hope of some time and money saving information, so it only seemed fair to register and say hello.

I have 2 Zafiras in the household, both LHD with the Opel badge on the front. The first is a 2005 2.2 150hp petrol which is currently being run into the ground by my 19yo daughter as her first car. We have had the "B" for 7 years and it's showing its age but has left us with mostly good memories of reliability, so much so my wife insisted on a 1.6 CDTi "C" or "tourer" as a replacement. This 2017 facelift model actually looks, feels and drives very nicely, however after 8 months of ownership some electrical gremlins coupled with frankly useless dealer support means we are starting to question if we have made the right choice.

For the record we have scored a full house as we originally owned a 2L Diesel RHD Zafira "A" before we left the UK, but years of abuse as a kiddy wagon had left it in no fit state to export.

Personally I'm a reasonable home mechanic having originally trained as one over 30 years ago but chose a career punching a keyboard instead.

Phil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Phil, Welcome. Im new here too. I lived in Germany and my UK spec Zaf B 1.9CDTi 150hp broke down on the autobahn. The ADAC towed it to an Opel dealer in Kassel who diagnosed and replaced the EGR, cleared the DPF and got me going. Great service from the dealer. A few months later the CIM module failed and the Opel dealer in Ludwigshafen where I was at the time repaired it and had to reprogram a new key. So I had two keys, one with the Vauxhall symbol and the other with an Opel. I changed to a Tourer 2.0 CDTi Sri with a nice spec, but it wasn't as nice a drive, so Im back to the Zafira B and back in the UK. I also took with me the importance of having winter or summer tyres, so go for cross climate options and get the best of both worlds without needing a swap over.
Ray

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ray, thanks for the reply, and yes, 8 years after moving here I can't believe I ever risked going out on Summer tyres in winter 😆 You also just reminded me I have 12 tyres to swap in the next few weeks o_O

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Phil.

I have a Model B that I think was made in Russia .... has the seat warmer thingies. I used to own a Lada ... now that was a robust and simple vehicle, kind of the "2CV of the Steppes", could knock over concrete posts with ease and nary a scratch. I'll not be trying that in the Zaf.

How's the expat life in Germany? Decades back, I missed out on a role there, so have had thoughts of the alternate life I might have led. I'm guessing it's worked out well for you! Obviously events in the UK have taken an, er, individual and different path, though pretty fine for me.

My problem in London is, I don't have a driveway, so much car maintenance isn't really a goer. Also TBH I can just pay KwikFit for the basics as I can't really be arsed.

No need for snow tyres in the UK....! Wish I could quickly drive to a ski resort tho.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey @ZafiraDork , expat life in Germany has indeed been very kind so far for us. We are out in the middle of nowhere which suits us just fine. Everyone seems to be healthier, wealthier and happier out here. Awesome little community as well that drew us in and made us their own. Everyone follows their own path and we all have different lives so I would say if you are happy where you are don't worry too much about what could have been. There is such a large element of luck in making any move work it's better to look forward than backwards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts