Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hI all,

I purchased a brand new Zafira 1.7 dieasel Ecoflex in June 2010 and was very pleased with the fuel consumption being around 42 around town and 49+ on long trips. Since the winter began i noticed the MPG dropping to 26 and when i took it to Vauxhall for another issue i was told it was because of the cold. Now the summer is hear i can not get above 34.5MPG. I have reset the computer when i filled up and it makes no difference. Could there be something wrong as i was expecting to see it hit the 40s again when the warmer weather arrived. Nowarning lights or funny noises apart from theairvent rattling on the dash directly below the window when i accellerate. Any Ideas or advice would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just need to know a few bits of info...

1, When was it last serviced?
2, What style of driving do you subject your car to, short trips or long motorway mileage?
3, What was the other issue you took it into Vx for?
4, Are your tyre pressures all ok?

See if we can clear this issue up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mainly the school run but we were 40+ this time last year and it is being serviced for the first time on tuesday as it is only 12 months old. Tyre pressure ok and the other issue was an insp message that they just reset as thet said it was a service indicator. That happens in November I think

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds like you may need to take it on a motorway and blat it for 20 minutes over 50mph. Your diesel is fitted with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) which extracts carbon deposits in the exhaust gasses for EU emission laws. If you read your owners manual it will probably tell you about DPF regeneration. And you have to trigger a regen every so often to keep it clean. This regen is where the ECU starts a process where it increases the fuel input. This in turn increases the heat of the exhaust gasses. Above a certain temperature and time the carbon deposits turn to ash and a cloud of white or light grey smoke can be seen coming from your exhaust. You may notice a burning smell and I do believe your year of Zaff has an updated software which causes the glow plug light to flash during the regeneration. Try not to disturb it durng its cycle (normally 20 mins).

Reckon 9 times out of 10 on a breakdown of CDTi's it is the DPF that is totally clogged up. Short journeys aren't long enough to trigger the regen.

This is the reason that put me off from getting the diesel as I only make short journeys.

Give your car a good blat and see what you get. Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I'll give it ago although when I made a 210 mile journey one way in April mainly motorway at 60+ mph I noticed it did not improve anything but I'll give it another go and see what happens. Thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate it

·
Registered
98 Posts
You may also wish to check out your Engine Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve out. These have been known to slowly clog up with carbon and restrict the engines performance. Not cheap though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with the school run member, we do mostly country lanes and around town with our 1.6 club petrol. 41 or 42mpg is normal. On the motorway the engine is screaming and we only get 38mpg but still not bad.

Happy motoring

1 - 7 of 7 Posts