Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 06 ZAFIRA WHEN DRIVING I HAVE A LOUD DRONING NOISE BETWEEN 30 / 55 MPH ALSO A SLIGHT VIBRATION THROUGH STEERING WHEEL ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT THIS IS?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Where is the droning coming from, front or back? And is it located to just one side or both?

The steering wobble could be something as simple as a thrown weight from your wheel or they just need realignment. Does the steering pull to one side at all?

The droning noise if low pitched could be either a wheel bearing or a worn brake pad. If high pitched and oscillating will be a warped brake disc.

1. Have a look at you brake disc, is there a massive groove in it that matches the width of the brake pad?
2. Jack your car up on the affected corner and gripping the wheel try to turn it (like what would happen if you turned the steering wheel). If there is any movement (other than that from steering wheel movement) then you may need a new bearing. Rotate the wheel as well to try and recreate the noise. If you apply a turning force at the same time as rotating the wheel you may be able to recreate it.
3. You haven't had any recent knocks or curbing recently?

Report back your findings, and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd put my bet on a bearing but it's interesting you think it may be brake associated. My brakes are all but worn out and I'm having them done tomorrow so I'll see if that fixes the noise on mine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
</pre>hi,
mine has done this from new and vaux dealer cannot find owt wrong with it ( so they say ),
it feels a bit like drive shaft vibration but no play in them, could be out of balance though.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi all,Ihave since found out what the vibration/droning noise was, it is the o/s drive shaft that is worn loose were it enters the intermediate shaft to gear box,remedy, a new bl***dy shaft at near £300.00 + fitting
.bl***dy Vauxhall crap.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi all,I fixed mine it was the inner CVJ splines were it connects to the intermediate shaft, the intermediate shaft splines slide into the inner CVJ and according to the experts assembled dry causing wear on BOTH the end of intermediate shaft and the the inner splines on the CVJ,the only remedy is to replace the intermediate shaft and the inner CVJ, grease the splines of both with copper grease on assembly,The intermediate shaft cost's £ 130 from vaux dealer but don't buy CVJ from them as they wanted £398.40, plus they said an exchange o/s drive shaft would cost £516.00,i bought the intermediate shaft from dealer and a rebuilt drive shaft of the internet with two years warranty for£166 inc post, this cured mine thank god as vibration was doing my head in,Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
there was a vauxhall bulletin relating to this, it was basically a grease it before it wears fix. the hydraulic effect from the grease was enough to stop the noise and prevent wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts