Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

Oil light on at low rpm and rattle from engine

10K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  andrewband065 
#1 ·
2005 petrol. When you stert the engine, oil light stays on and you can hear the engine rattling as if lost oil pressure, but moment you blip the throttle, the oil light goes out and no noise. Engine/car drives ok once revs taken above tickover.oil service NOt due, was serviced by vauxhall last time round, so has correct oil in.it seems to suggest oil pump, but not 100% convinced, could be pressure relief valve in pump got swarf in.has anyone else suffered same/similar problem?If so what was your fix?

#3 ·
yes, tickover is fine. but the moment you take the revs up over idle, the oil light goes out and rattle stops, drives fine, but moment you slow down again and pull up at a junction, oil light on/engine rattleive phoned the dealers and they say cant look at it for 10 days and in their opinion its fine to keep driving. i have the conversation recorded, so if the engine does fail, I can take it back to them and say I followed their advice given.

#4 ·
it sounds like badly worn bearings to me, i would not keep driving it about or you could end up with a big hole in your engine and a bigger hole in you wallet if it throws a con rod and piston, plus you will be knackering the crank journals, leave it till it's been looked at.

#9 ·
Hi i have the same problem but my zafira had 9though takwn of the head i rebuilt the engine and it started rattling so i took it for a little run but by the time i got back home the rattle got louder then it started smokeing were the oil pump is and it just cut out the engine was red hot have i blown the oil pump

#6 ·
I know it is a little late to reply...<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">But I would put my bet on bad oil pump.....When it iddle the rpm are low , and the oil pressure is low... as a result not good oilling,,if I am right ( really wish I am not) you will have internal problem...When you rev higher, the oil pump is working adequate... so no lamp is on....
Had the same issue with my older car, and endded up with worn crankshaft ...due to inadeqate oiling...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.