Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,Couple of quick questions ...After a good run in a 2002 Zafira petrol Elegance it is time for a replacement. The car has been pretty reliable other than the usual suspension bits etc (notwithstanding a Monty Python couple of weeks with a clutch/gearbox replacement carried out by a set of drunk monkeys [aka Halfords/AA Autocentre]).Although I have looked at alternative MPVs I am currently looking at a 2010/11 Zafira, most likely a 1.9 diesel, possibly an automatic (wife has arm injury so this might assist).My questions are:1) After reading a number of horror stories about the Zafira diesel (diesel filter failures, overheating, sensor failings etc etc) and an equal number of glowing reports I am a bit baffled ... anyone have any actual knowledge of the diesel's reliability?2) I am also looking at the auto variants ... previous was a manual so don't have any personal knowledge re reliability/usability of the Zafira auto - anyone have any comments? Also is the 'tiptronic' worth a look? I haven't come across this before but it comes up under some 'auto' searches ... I assume (looking at the photo) that it is some sort of semi-auto (clutchless) transmission.3) What is the realistic towing capability of the 1.8 petrol/1.9 diesel? Would likely be small trailer or a motorbike rather than a monster caravan!Appreciateany comments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Avoid the tiptronic, it jerky and unreliable and would be useless for towing. Best bet would be a 1.9 diesel auto, but only if you are doing long runs otherwise the DPF (diesel particulate filter ) will block. The DPF cleans itself at speed when the exhaust is hot, typically you need to be driving over 60mph for 15 or 20 minutes for this to happen. If you only do short runs opt for the 1.8 petrol.

Towing weight depends on whether your trailer is braked or unbraked and the vehilcles weight I.e the diesel can tow more than the petrol version. The 1.8 petrol can tow 1200 braked and the 1.9 diesel about 1400. Unbraked is 750 regardless of which version.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a thought, you can no longer buy a 1.9 diesel or an auto of any discription new. If you are looking for next to new why not consider a new one. With the new shape just around the corner you'll get the deal of the century on the current model, plus the lifetime warranty they are now giving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response - have had a test ina 2010 manual and Auto (both diesel) and both felt pretty good.I liked the auto (particulalry the option to use it as a sequential manual) but think I will go with the SRi as it is generally better spec'd.Thanks for the advice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts