Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sorry to bother you with a problem on my first post, but I am stuck

I have a Zafira SRi 2008 Diesel and just as I pulled in to the house, the power steering died, abs light and car skidding light and airbag light all came on but it still ran.

I turned off and on and it just clicked.

Left it for 5 mins and it started well but then everything just cam back on and sterring died again.
same when I turned off and on

I'd really like a bit of info to go back to my hubby with, it's typically only 18 days out of warranty

please help

thanks

Lara

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you took it into a dealer they'll bill you £80 to plug in laptop. STOP! Try this........

Arm yourself with a pen and some paper. Get into your Zaffy and before you put the key into the ignition make sure that you press the brake pedal and the accelerator to the floor as far as they will go.

Then turn the key on until the dash board lights come on but DONT START THE CAR

Wait 2 sec and keep the pedals down to the floor and the service light under the management light should start flashing

it will initially flash 4 times leaving 1 or 2 second space representing each number

Zero gets 10 flashes

for exampleP0110

the light will flash ten times Break (2sec Or 1 not sure) then once, (2sec) once again, then ten

If there are more than one code it will stop for a break then gives the next code.

However if you don't have any code stored it will start Flashing and keeps on flashing until you release the pedals.

It should give you a 6 digit number with ECN displayed where the mileage normally is.

Check out this site for the code meanings.

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=250554

Ignore the ECN and P numbers. You only need the 4 digits.

If this fails, turn on your radio. Then hold down the SETTINGS button until you hear a beep. Then press the BC button to scroll through the ECU diagnostics screen. The fault codes should be at the end of the list. All the codes before it refer to Hardware, Software, Temp sensor voltages etc. The codes you need should start ECN.

Even Vauxhall dealers don't know these methods. It will save you some serious cash, hopefully.

Let me know how things go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does that work with Vaux Petrol? 1.6 club?

Mine wont start, not sure what's wrong.

Nothing happens in the Engine when I turn the key. As if the battery was flat, but the battery is fully charged, and lights work.

·
Registered
98 Posts
@toothache - let me guess, you get lights in the motor, you've lost central locking and the dash is blank. Sounds like you probably have issues with the immobilizer. You may even need to resync the keys to the car. Are both keys affected?

To re-sync - Put the key in the ignition and turn on ignition till lights are on press one of the
buttons till you hear central locking lock press unlock switch off
ignition that should have synced that key to the immobiliser do the same
with other key.

One more thing is pop the key fob open, and examine the battery housing. Sometimes the solder joints can break.

@solomon3000 - did you get many codes? and what methods did you use to fix?

·
Registered
13 Posts
@fastjetfixer

Got central locking, even though did that thing you said.

I got dash lights too.

When I turn the ignition key, I get nothing. No sound at all.

And all electrics work, radio, windows etc.

Sometimes the fuel gage shows nothing, it is 3/4 full, and sometimes it shows fuel.

Before this happened I did have no power steering and no fuel gage and speedometer movement when I started, but when I restarted they worked.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds like it might be an earth fault. Double check your battery terminal connections, fuses/relays and earth connections that are shared with the starting system. My Mondeo had a corroded headlight earth, but it still managed to cause a crazy number of faults including the wipers being on permanently and the dash lights going nuts.

Have you had any work on the car done recently (within the last 2 to 4 months)? Reckon if you took it back to the garage they'd want to replace the ECU... £300 a pop. £££££!

You could also try the Vauxhall Owners Club website. There is a more varied number of owners there with a massive wealth of knowledge. Try asking there as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I checked all the fuses. Only one was bad, I changed it. but unfortunately it was the horn fuse, so the car still doesn't start.

hmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok, clutching at straws now. Sorry.

Have you replaced the key fob batteries recently?

It's the last thing i'd look at before taking it in to a garage. Have a look at all your electrical connections in the engine bay. Moisture can be a ******* in every way. Spray a dab of WD40 on each connection just as a last resort. It disperses the water to allow a better connection. Other than that buddy i'm afraid i'm clean out of ideas now. Sorry I can't help any more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Question. I took out the battery to do the connection cleaning. I put a resistance meter between the two battery ports, and didn't get any resistance at all. Does that mean there is a massive short circuit, or does that always happen, due to the circuit being completed through parts of the car such as motors, circuitry and lights?

·
Registered
98 Posts
You'd have to have something switched on, like your lights etc. I'm pretty sure that the ECU will always stay live though. Try pulling the fuse for that and see what you get. With this method you can probably single each system out one fuse at a time. Might point you in the right direction. If it's a device that you'd need to switch on/off then make sure everything is selected off.

Let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have taken all the fuses and black, yellow and gray boxes out the front fuse box, I also unplugged the back one. I am still getting zero resistance from the battery ports.

:( I have always been able to fix every car I had. So I'm not sure what to do when I can't(I can't has never happened before!), do I have to call a tow truck, call a mechanic to come to my house, or upgrade my RAC to cover home start, (it is single car, any driver right now, no home start cause I thought, what ever is wrong i can fix it if it is at home)?

What every happens it is going to have to wait a couple of weeks cause we are going away tomorrow night. I have booked a cab to the airport.
Looks like I have let the side down?

Because I'm an Engineer too, BEng Hon Polymers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Chin up pal, I'm sure we can work out a solution. I'm currently banging my head looking at the rear fuse box to install rear parking sensors. I don't want to start hacking into looms unless I really have to and wanted to incorporate it into the fuse box.

Have fun on your hols. Hopefully I will have devised something before you get back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I worked out what was wrong with it. There is a fault with the battery, that causes the computer to stop the engine from starting.

I wasn't able to spot it because the battery was charged and worked, so all the electronics also worked.

I think the acid had damaged the parts of the battery plats it is in contact with, I was able to start the car by turning the battery about 30 degrees.

Who knows where I can get a good deal on a battery?

Halfords are real expensive.

I bought a replacement from these guys for my last car, a Dawoo Matiz,

https://www.batteriesuk.uk.com/checkout/customerdetails.aspx?address=delivery

Do you know anywhere that is cheaper?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good skills on the fault finding. Will keep this in mind if I see anyone having a similar issue. How old was the battery?

On the Halfords issue, if you have any engineering certificates either BTEC or equivalent then you can apply for a Halfords trade card. Worth their weight in gold. Especially if you need wipers, batterys and servicing kit. You can get up to 70% off. If not then try and borrow one. The last battery I bought was from BATTMAN. And it was around £30 for an extremely high amp version that would probably start a tractor. Lasted the Corsas remaining life of 4 years before I rolled it into the Vx forecourt to part ex for a new 'un. Good times.

Happy Battery hunting buddy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh no

Battery was delivered today. I connected it. and drove around for a bit. The ABS light was still on, and the speedo didn't move.

I turned the ignition on and off, and drove round again. The ABS light was still on and the speedo still didn't move.

I still haven't got to the root of it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe it's the main battery cables. If you turned the battery 30 degrees and you had no problems then it could be a connection somewhere.Check the terminals are tight, and chase where the cables go on from there. Check the earth terminal that goes to the engine frame. Maybe loose.

Let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The battery terminals are tight. The problem was with the battery itself. the light would be off when horizontal and on when I tilted it about 30 degrees. Even though the battery wasn't the cause of the abs light going on and the speedo not moving, it was a good thing i changed it, because it had a problem.

I will try and find the Engine Earth later on today when I get back, need to take my son to hospital right now to get a wheel chair.

Bye

Sam

1 - 19 of 19 Posts