Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just wondered what people on this forum thought about my fuel consumption, which I think is poor and am worried in case there is anything wrong. Please post your consumption so I can compare.
I have a Zafira B 05 plate 2.2SRI petrol and currently get the following mpg
Around town 24mpg
Motorway in 6th gear 48mpg full load 4 passengers travelling at 56mph.
Is this good or bad?
My thoughts are that motorway driving is good but around town is poor. Can anyone suggest some remedies to improve my fuel consumption apart from not driving. I have my tyres inflated to 46psi, I drive at 56mph to get the above motorway fuel consumption and I do not have the fuel tank full and keep the boot empty to reduce weight. I also drive like a vicar so any other tips much appreciated.
Mikady

·
Registered
6 Posts
AS COMPARISON:

I have a 1.9cdti (150) 07 plate (WHAT CAR? says its the one to avoid!) here are my figures:

average mpg 42 - average speed 29mph - computer figures. People do complain that this is poor however my local Vx dealership says that "pretty good"

On motorway 2 adults (2 sets of golf clubs in boot) 65 mpg @ 85mph (approx 2500rpm) on a straigh flat bit dry road for 2 miles (testing it)
Around town it varies from 12mpg to 30mpg
If thats any help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pigot 71
Thanks for the reply.
I wish I could get 65mpg.
I am at a loss as to how to improve the consumption.
Any other forum readers please contribute.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Mikady

We have a 1.6 petrol 53 plate and we are the other way round! On country lanes and around town we get 42mpg, on the motorway even with one person in we get 37 or 38mpg because we only have 5 gears. I would die for an overdrive gear like cars used to have inb the 70's. However I wouldn't want it at the expense of 20mpg when going around town like you seem to be experiencing.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Popeyman
Thanks for your comments. Thats is a very strange set of circumstances.
I just recently had the fuel pump and swirl valve actuator changed and just wonder if this has had an impact on fuel consumption?
I am going to change the air filter, oil filter, fuel pump filter, spark plugs and oil to see if this impacts on fuel consumption.
Bottom line is 24mpg around town is crap. I am also going to change the fuel I use currently ESSO changing to SHELL as I have read this impacts on fuel consumption.
Any other suggestions please feel free to contribute.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used to have the Astra Coupe with the 2.2 engine and 24mpg around town sounds about right. I got the Astra brand new and if my memory serves then I was getting about 26 mpg round town and about 42mpg on the motorway.

I have just got rid of my Zaffy GSi 2.0 turbo because that was only getting 23mpg town and 36mpg motorway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure what my MPG is, but

Filled the car up with £64 of Shell V-Power Diesel on Saturday morning, and 430 miles later the orange re-fuel light has just come on...

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a 04 gsi and im lucky to get 24 mpg around town run it on v-power and drive it like ive stole it all the time , if i wanted good fuel consumption i would have bought a mobility scooter lol ,

·
Registered
6 Posts
New "62" plate, 1.6i 115ps. Had it about six weeks now. Haven't done any in depth calculations, but reckon on about 23 - 27 mpg. Only being used for short trips round the doors. Just been on Vauxhall website and their urban figures are 32 mpg. Don't know how I missed that when I was checking the car out. Stuck with it for now, but it will go the journey at the first opportunity.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dunt think theres owt ya can do about it mate apart from keeping as mutch weight out of car and driving steady had 2.2 astra coupe petrol for years used to cost mi a fortune in fuel was glad to get mi zafira only had it since weekend but its miles betrer on fuel thank god

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Mikady
I also have the Zafira 2.2 on a run you will get good mpg But around town all cars mpg
plummets i had a 2.0 Ford Mondeo returning just 17 mpg around town. This i why i have a 02Nissan micra for around town saves a lot in fuel. I would say if you are getting 20+mpg around town that is fine.

Regards

Tony

·
Registered
6 Posts
Considered an LPG conversion?
I'm new to Zafira's and LPG but my 02 1.6 Zaf has returned 30-32mpg over 3 tanks @ 79p a litre since I bought the car, makes it cheaper to run than my girlfriends 1.2 Corsa.
You'd have to calculate the cost of conversion £1000-£1500 vs your saving in fuel cost only real drawback is where they fit the tank mine replaces spare wheel so no spare wheel or carry it in the boot or you could have a tank in the boot and loose boot space

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have heard that LPG makes an engine run hotter which is why you see a lot with blown head gaskets. Check the water regularly. Mydaughter had her Mondeo 2.5 gassed and her head gasket failed and was so expensive to repair due to it being a v6 she had to sell it very cheaply.I think it only pays having a car gassed if you do vast mileage. Like 20000 miles a year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts