Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
hope someone can help with this
Driving to work this morning and the steering suddenly became very heavy and hard to turn.
made it into work ok and checked for leaks etc. couldn't see anything; fluids still at optimum level.
Could it be the belt? Alternator? Motor?
Help?????

·
Registered
280 Posts
Most of the experts on here would ask you to tell them which Car you have, including the year, model, engine and whether or not you have any fault codes showing.

I don't know if all Zaffy's have the same sort of Power Steering Pump, but there does seem to be a prevalence to an Electrically operated pump, and it could be as easy as a Fuse you need to check.

They are both in the Engine bay and on the right hand side looking from the front, and it's fuses F3 @60A and F7 @ 80A but that's for mine a 2001 Z18XE, and whether there are any differences between models and years for that I don't know.

If it's not that it could be you have a completely Bug---ed Pump and time to visit a scrapyard at the weekend, unless you're well off of course and you can afford a genuine GM New one.

I would however hold off till one of the well read guys on here have had their say as it may not be either of those and a simple fix is possible.

Good Luck

Stew

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hi there Bogwoppit...

CHECK YOUR ELECTRICS - particularly the battery and the alternator...BECAUSE,a similar thing happened to me driving with the family down the M4 one evening. Initially the dials started to twitch a bit and the radio gave a couple of crackles. I didn't take very much notice because I hadseen the dials playing up the day before and had made a mental note to check it out at the weekend, but about 10 miles later just beforethe junction with the A34at Chieveley Services, the steering went all hard and I had to pull off the Motorway.Breakdown man cameand diagnosed afailing Battery, together with a faulty Alternator. Turns out there was not enough power to run the electric steering pump, which takes quite a hefty load and I'd just tried to turn on the Headlights! It hadn't affected the enginerunning though, because itwas a Diesel! I got 'lifted' home on the back of his truck and had to get a new Battery and a new Alternator - then the steering, radio, lightsand dialswere fine again! Good Luck with yours... Cheers...Robin

·
Registered
3 Posts
My battery warning light has come on and my power steering has stopped working all other electrics are working as normal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts