Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if anyone can help me please let me know where to start my zafira runs fie its as smooth as it always has been but when you turn off the engine and remove the key the following happens:

1. the radio stays on
2. when you open the drivers door the bleeper bleeps indicating that either the lights are still on or the key is still in the ignition
3. the car fob wont lock the car and the manual door lock only locks the drivers

i have tried to clean out the barrel and removed it cleaned it wih wd40 but no joy.
i have also unplugged the electrcial plug and plugging it back, in the sterring column this turns the radio off but the bleeping remians but at least i can lock the car.
i have checked all wiring around the doors one had come loose so i put it back together but still the fault remians.
finally i tried to ensure my keys were synced by putting them in turning it to the first switch on the iginition and pressing both buttons at once but you guessed it.........no change

any hel apreciated.

thanks

Daz

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having exactly the same problem. I am interested to hear any suggestions about what this fault is - it must be something specific to cause identical fault conditions in more than one Zafira.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found a useful suggestion. I have sprayed some Servisol into the key barrel and wiggled the key in and out a few times. The fault has rectified but if it comes back I will try the following.

"I managed to fix this and it was a doddle in the end.

Remove the plastic casing from around the steering column (will need torx bit).

Put key in barrel and rotate to next position.

Push small screwdriver into small hole above barrel to displace circlip and then withdraw barrel with key in it.

I found my problem was the small plastic spigot at the end of the barrel
which is displaced by the key when it is inserted into the barrel and
then the spigot in turn operates a switch in the steering column casting at the end of the hole from where the barrel has just been removed.

I popped out the plastic cap retaining part and cleaned up the plastic
spigot, lubricated it with WD40 and put it all back together again and
it's worked fin since.

The local dealer wanted to charge me £146 to address this issue.

Vauxhall ought to update their FMEAs as it's a disgrace that the car cannot be locked up due to this failure mode.
"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - have the same problem, and took the barrel out, cleaned it etc. was ok for a week, then happened again.
I have the keycode and keynumber, but can anyone recommend a service / retailer that can provide a new barrel? I have spent an hour on google searching for replacement parts, but can't find anything.
i guess I was expecting at least a Vauxhall parts place or service place to offer this, but nothing that looks any good.
Someone out there must have replaced the barrel and managed to get it made up with the existing key number?
Any help would be great - i replaced a broken rear light and fixed the power sockets this weekend, just need to get this locking problem fixed.....
james.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts