Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've had a recurring problem on my Zafira Club Dti (2003) which kicks in at 60mph and above. There's a pulling back feeling, then loss of power in stages until the engine dies. After switching off the engine and restarting, I've been able to start the car again. Sometimes the fault reoccurs, sometimes it doesn't and I can continue my journey, driving 70 miles or more on a motorway with no further problem.

The AA rescued me from the A27 last week, their diagnostic tool found this:

Patrol found the following fault code/s:
System : Engine control - 51L / PSG 16 pump control unit
Status : P0070 - Outside temperature sensor. Error Message : Signal too low. Error static.
Status : P0380 - Glow duration control. Error Message : Short to ground. Error sporadic.
Status : P0335 - Crankshaft position sensor. Error Message : Synchronisation error. Error sporadic.
Status : P1222 - Injection pump. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic.
DTC scan checked connections at crank sensor and fuel pump checked engine speed on lice data all ok checked fuel pressure and found to be low possible faulty fuel pump.

My usual garage was on holiday but he recommended a friend's garage, where the car was towed. After my daily phone calls x 3 with no progress updates, they rang back and said they thought it was the fuel pump. They've quoted £1,500+ for the part alone. I've checked fuel pump prices for my Zafira model online and prices go from £300 - £600, albeit secondhand.

I'm minded to have the car returned to me as it is, whilst looking for a new (secondhand) vehicle.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Many thanks, Christina

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2004 Zafira I suspect my fuel pump is failing as well. How do I check the pressure at home, before I need to have the car towed? Thank-you, Al :)
Not sure that is a "home" check as the pumps arfe high pressure - have you gone through the cheap fixes first ?

Leak off pipes and "T" pieces
Fuel filter (as that also covers the seals)
Injector top seals (leave it overnight facing DOWNHILL and if it starts better that is an indication its top seals).

Pumps can be swapped out but the pump being fitted requires resetting so you need BOTH your car and the donner car's 4 number security pass pin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2004 Zafira I suspect my fuel pump is failing as well. How do I check the pressure at home, before I need to have the car towed? Thank-you, Al :)
Hi, How is your Zafira doing today??
One of the biggest problems with the high pressure fuel pomp, is that is has 3 membranes made out of rubber. That rubber gets dried out and falls into pieces because of the high (bio) ethanol percentage in unleaded (cheaper) fuels.... It supposed to be better to tank Super98 (in Europe at least).

I currently am facing the same problem: pressure pump is replaced. But I have still some pressure loss in the fuel system (fault code P1191 -52).someone any ideas to share??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts