Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi The Car is a 2002 1.8 petrol auto Zafira Are you able to advise where the temperature sender unit is located

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
By temperature sensor you talking about the outside temp sensor or the coolant temp sensor? the outside air sensor is on the lower front bumper grill in the middle, the coolant temp sensor is on the thermostat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By temperature sensor you talking about the outside temp sensor or the coolant temp sensor? the outside air sensor is on the lower front bumper grill in the middle, the coolant temp sensor is on the thermostat.
Sorry about that, it is the coolant temp sensor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well what I thought was going to be a 10 minute job turned out to be a bit of a mare I simply could not unclip the the wiring connectors I had to give up, any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The connector should be easy to remove? I've removed mine off several times, what is the issue is the connector become hard plastic or something?
There is a small clip on the top, if you press it down and pull it should come off with ease. To remove the actual sensor you'll have to remove the whole thermostat which is not difficult to do, then put a combination spanner over the nut and loosen it, maybe a deep socket could remove it too but i've not tried.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I had another go and was successful this time (The penny dropped) I took a chance and assumed that it was the coolant gauge that was faulty, but this was not the case, the problem is the temperature gauge remains at zero but rises when car is stationary, but as soon as I drive off the gauge returns to zero, resulting in low circ temperature, my question now is, it it likely that the problem lies with a faulty thermostat. Your advice would be most helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to be a pain, please bear with me but trying to source the thermostat for my car is turning out to be a nightmare< I have been on E Bay, Euro Parts and Vauxhall dealerships and various other places but to no avail, it would appear that the the only option I have is to purchase the one you advised not to (Circoli) hoping I can compress the springs on the housing itself to prize the old thermostat out, if you get my drift, what are your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am using the Circoli one on my car, has no issues but the heater is not as hot as before and likes to stays a little below operating temp. The thermostat on these are 1 unit, not separate type ones, I don't think you can swap them over. No harm in using the circoli one but it won't be as efficient as OEM one and you won't get the coolant temp sensor with Circoli one.
On Euro there is Circolo and Vernet one, the vernet one comes with the temp sensor, no big deal you can just swap the sensors which is what I did. I am happy to help if you have any other issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Thanks that's a really an informative Video I may have a try tomorrow, you mentioned there is no need to drain the system, if when removing the thermostat how much coolant may be lost the reason I ask is that I have a medical condition (Age Related), that restricts using a trolley jack and bending down etc its pathetic but it is what it is, any further advice or tips would be welcome.

Regards ken

Ken

·
Registered
52 Posts
They say to drain the coolant because it will be less messy but i've done this 3 times already and it's not worth draining and wasting 2-4+ litres of coolant unless you want to change it. By removing the thermostat without draining radiator you might lose 1-2 litres.

It's not much work imo, don't have to bend or stress that much, if you have a drain pan try put it under the car, you might have to jack it up a tiny bit or put a wood plank and drive over it so you can get some height.

After you put drainpan on floor, remove the big (upper) radiator hose, some coolant will come out, after that remove the 2 bolts that hold the thermostat in and again coolant will pour out, then there is 1 small hose which has a clamp on it, after removing the clamp off that tiny hose the hose might be stubborn to come off, so spray wd40 on the end and keep wiggling, turning it and it will come off, then you have to swap the the temperature sensors over which has a nut on, forgot what size but I used a combination spanner and took it off that way.

Then just refit, take the coolant expansion cap off, put heater on, fan 2 with recirc on and start the car, let it idle for 20ish mins and rev it a little bit once in a while, this is to bleed the cooling system.

When you try starting the car after refitting everything the car may make weird noises like it's squealing, sucking in air, that's normal, just rev it at 2kish revs and hold it there for sometime.

Also when you refit that big radiator hose, try to make the clamp sit in the same grooves it left imbedded in the rubber hose because there is slight chance it may have an air leak, also monitor the thermostat area for a few days, weeks and check if there is any leaks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts