Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with a issue... My zafira just cuts out full stop when driving I can turn the key and just restart right away.. But a mile or so down the road it just does it again.. Its like a emp has been dropped like in the films.. So far I have had the crank sensor changed the cam sensor.. The temp sensor a new throttle body a new starter motor! Any ideas?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does it cut out when you stop applying gas pedal like approaching a roundabout or when even when applying gas and driving normally ?
What changes in driving and have you had a decent diagnostic code read ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope with my foot on the gas pedal it just cuts out completely nothing you can do! It starts right back up again.. No lights or codes..

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a none listed fault and it was the pressure relief valve on the end of the fuel rail.
Originally caused by a sticking suction control valve on the back of fuel pump.

But mine cut out when no gas so
Can’t get sensor on its own. A used rail with sensor was about £30

But if you do the suction control valve only buy a genuine Vx part. Denso parts on ebays are low grade replicas.

They are a huge problem on the 1.7.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you I will try the suction control valve first and see what happens... If not a new rail.. Its such a strange thing when it cuts out I have my foot done there's no spluttering it's just a smooth cut out then restarts straight away

·
Registered
85 Posts
That engine is very prone to poor fuel.
If i used Morrison’s, asda or a few independent garages I could tell within 30 miles as engine performance was sluggish and at times engine revs were erratic at idle.

The slider in the valve gets a thin build up of crap on the valve which causes it to stick in position.

Part of the problem is also I bio diesel bug in the fuel tank where the build up develops.

A anti bacterial diesel treatment in the tank may help and change the fuel filter more often too.
I had an old gravy like sludge in the bottom of tank which proved the bacteria bug.

Every few tanks I used to put half a tank of shell v power in the tank as it has cleaning detergent in the fuel.

If you Havnt already only use shell or esso fuel. Don’t use any other fuel. Try it and see.
Keep to a reasonable fuel and it may go away.
But get a new fuel filter. It’s a simple job to do

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've seen a youtube vid that suggests changing is easy, but are the any
no-no's? Does the system need any type of priming on start up?

·
Registered
85 Posts
On back if pump, half way up the rear of engine.
I could do it at stretch with one arm only from underneath.

Allen bolts are very Easy to kill the head as you don’t have good access so easy to have the key/socket at a bad angle.
Careful on how tight as again easy to kill the bolt.

Priming just turn key to ignition wait a few secs, then repeat a few times is plenty enough to prime.
The fault will probably return if you do not use a true genuine part.
Denso genuine are not the grade you need, they are cheap low grade parts. Only get a Vx one (some on eBay) you will only end up doing the job again with a proper part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
...why do people make vids to the contrary?...looking to sweep up the debris, perhaps? :unsure:

Thanks. You still driving one?
Is it the same for glow-plugs?

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are is a good few 1.7 vauxhall engines and get mixed up. I presume that’s why.Plenty descriptions are listed badly, Rather than using its engine code which would help on these videos.

just search vauxhall 1.7 will give you bad info, find your engine code will reduce what you come across.
There’s even a euro 4 and euro 5 emission version of this engine.

I have an insignia now. That Zafira engine was the most annoying engine I’ve had tbh.so many stupid basic faults over complicated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts