Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly, I only got the Zafira because the expansion of the low emission zone in London forced sale of my Peugeot Partner Teepee: I wanted another box on wheels: I recently retired, so the main use is carting around the crumblies, and leisure driving up the motorway.

The Zaf was available at the nearest second hand car dealer, and seemed to offer value at 72k miles for 4.2k. It was that or the siren song of a beautiful but thirsty and well thrashed Saab convertible. So I got the Zaf.

On the downside, is that I've sunk 900 into it in the six months since, on rear suspension, brakes and a clutch problem (the gas cyclinder thing outside of the actual clutch died, thankfully while at home).

The upside - is that I rather like driving it. I like the anonymous appearance. I even like that I have the basic "Exclusiv" model with no frills:- my view on mod cons in cars is that they are just more to go wrong, and my expectations were set by my first car, a Lada, which had none whatsoever.

Now I've bought a Zaf, I see them everywhere, usually loaded up with family or carting stuff around. Cheap workhorses, basically.

The MPG isn't as good as my previous car, a diesel. But I can live with it, just relieved I didn't get the 2.4l Saab.

I want to just keep it until it dies of old age. If it treats me well, maybe a Zafira Tourer to replace it.

May all your MOTs pass without advisories!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Honestly, I only got the Zafira because the expansion of the low emission zone in London forced sale of my Peugeot Partner Teepee: I wanted another box on wheels: I recently retired, so the main use is carting around the crumblies, and leisure driving up the motorway.

The Zaf was available at the nearest second hand car dealer, and seemed to offer value at 72k miles for 4.2k. It was that or the siren song of a beautiful but thirsty and well thrashed Saab convertible. So I got the Zaf.

On the downside, is that I've sunk 900 into it in the six months since, on rear suspension, brakes and a clutch problem (the gas cyclinder thing outside of the actual clutch died, thankfully while at home).

The upside - is that I rather like driving it. I like the anonymous appearance. I even like that I have the basic "Exclusiv" model with no frills:- my view on mod cons in cars is that they are just more to go wrong, and my expectations were set by my first car, a Lada, which had none whatsoever.

Now I've bought a Zaf, I see them everywhere, usually loaded up with family or carting stuff around. Cheap workhorses, basically.

The MPG isn't as good as my previous car, a diesel. But I can live with it, just relieved I didn't get the 2.4l Saab.

I want to just keep it until it dies of old age. If it treats me well, maybe a Zafira Tourer to replace it.

May all your MOTs pass without advisories!
Hi Welcome I'm in same/similar boat to you ive a Citroen Xsara Picasso 2litre HDI 70mpg! whats not to love but the Night Mayor/President of London wants to drain anyone with cash so he can keep giving his Bonuses to nefarious individuals at our expense plus appease the cyclo mafia.
So looking at a Zafira as want the room plus height drove one for someone i know and found a pleasant drive there's was a 1.6 A model went pretty well even full with Crinklies/wrinkles and also rans!
Have my eye on the 1.8's probably Elite or Design? mind did get offered a 1.6 exclusive 08 if i remember right for £1000

Yes rear end seems a reg MOT failure plus check sprains fore and aft as do like to rust/break! will lavish mine with ACF50

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Welcome I'm in same/similar boat to you ive a Citroen Xsara Picasso 2litre HDI 70mpg! whats not to love but the Night Mayor/President of London wants to drain anyone with cash so he can keep giving his Bonuses to nefarious individuals at our expense plus appease the cyclo mafia.
So looking at a Zafira as want the room plus height drove one for someone i know and found a pleasant drive there's was a 1.6 A model went pretty well even full with Crinklies/wrinkles and also rans!
Have my eye on the 1.8's probably Elite or Design? mind did get offered a 1.6 exclusive 08 if i remember right for £1000

Yes rear end seems a reg MOT failure plus check sprains fore and aft as do like to rust/break! will lavish mine with ACF50
Thanks for your thoughts! Interesting.... I was browsing last night and found a thorough Zaf review that strongly suggests ... getting a Picasso!

" When it was new in 2005, the Zafira was one of the best MPVs on sale and duly went on to top the sales charts as had its game-changing predecessor. But it’s not just in looks that the world has moved on far, far beyond the point occupied by this car. The Citroën C4 Picasso is a wildly better prospect in all regards save its handling and is state of the art so you’d expect it to be vastly more expensive. But it’s not"

I didn't consider a Picasso at the time of my purchase, and of course it all depends on what's available and offers value. Maybe next time (hopefully not for many a year).

I used to own a Vauxhall Astra that I remember fondly ... though it met a rather sticky end. I find that a Zaf is basically an Astra with different topping ... so I kind of got my old car back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts