Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.8 petrol Design on an 08, it has 38k on the clock and has started to make a loud rattle noise over the last few months at the top of the engine area, and it seems to be getting worse.

The noise comes and goes almost as if it is being switched on and off with a button, when its not making the noise the car sounds lovely and quiet, then the noise starts and it sounds just like a diesel, the next minute the noise stops again...

I mentioned it to the Vauxhall dealer when it had its three year service and they said that it should get better with an oil change, which they actually did on the service anyway, but it didnt make much difference.

Now the warranty has expired so any repairs are going to cost me.

Any one come across this before and know what the problem might be?

I did put a Wynn's Tappet treatment in just in case it worked but again, no noticable difference, plus I have run a bottle of Redex through in case it was an injector noise.

It also appears that this 1.8 model does'nt have an EGR valve either which I have heard can cause problems.

One other thing is that at times it feels very under powered, then the next minute it flies along, but it has been like that the last two and a half years we've owned it, so dont think that will be part of the same fault though...

Any help very much appreciated....

·
Registered
300 Posts
hi jason,
have you checked for loose items under bonnet ie:air cleaner loose, engine cover loose, bonnet support rod rattling about, exhaust loose,
is it throwing any fault codes up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I have the exact same problem with my 2007 1.8 zifira, did you manage to fine the problem, if so what was it. I have asked a lot of people and seem to get different answers, from new tappets, oil pump, blocked engine pipes. I would really appreciate your help, thanks

Nigel

·
Registered
314 Posts
it is a common ....serious ...and expensive issue on 1.8.

Have the error codes read.

It looks like you need to replace the solenoid valve of the camshaft position (camshaft position actuator)

Now, because this valve might be faulty, the VVT (Variable Valve Timing) system in your bus may have been damaged and that's the reason for the diesel-like sound. This is a typical damage to 1.6 and 1.8 engines. If the gears in this system are damaged, you will need to replace them too, which is very costly (around 800 pounds in Poland)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info, i'm not a mechanic, is the solenoid value easy to replace, where on the engine is it located ?, thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
looks like this:

http://www.fotosik.pl/showFullSize.php?id=b28e285baed6e2ab

but you need to have a professional diagnosis, and most probaly you will need to change the VVT gears along with the cambelt as all will be disamabled ...so as i said ....start saving money........up to 1000quid....
Edited by: kaliope

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks again for the info, i thought it might be a expensive fix, i can get the solenoid value for £50, therefore i might just change this before i go and get the professional diagnosis and see if it cures the problem.
Where on the engine is the solenoid valve located, i have looked and cant seem to find it
thanks
Nigel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts