Vauxhall Zafira Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a '51 plate 1.8 Elegance, with FSH that I have just bought. On the test drive the engine coolant temperature gauge took ages to rise (common so it seems). Having had it a couple of days now, I notice that it rises then falls back to nothing, then if stationary will rise to the middle mark, then drop a bit, then drop back to almost nothing or nothing. I have read something regarding this being a known fault due to the wiring connector breaking down with vibration. Can anyone shed some light on this as I love the car and hope it's just a sensor, other than this the car runs fine, no running issues at all, starts/idles/accelerates perfectly.

cheers Pete

·
Registered
23 Posts
If theres no hot air coming out the vents when at motorway speeds then id say the thermostat, if the hot airs fine id say the temp sender unit, just done thermostat on my 1.8 zafira, sorted the temp gauge out, but mine had no heat, just done temp sender unit on my golf because the gauge in the car had a life of its own
Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

Yeah I thought possibly this was the cause, it reads up to just above the 90ºC mark whilst stationary for a few minutes then, once moving it will drop to zero then maybe up to the 80ºC point then might go to 90º again and then down to 80º then zero. Heat output seems fine, in fact most times I have to turn it down as I don't like to be too hot, lol. Will, once I get a Haynes manual, locate the temp sensor and replace it (it's alright all the time it's running right but would like some inkling if it ever starts to overheat).

Cheers Pete

·
Registered
23 Posts
The car shouldnt over heat even with that sensor playing up, the fan should still kick in, if you google it you should be able to find a way to change it with out having to get a haynes manual, on the golf it was an easy process but a nightmare to do, was very fiddly to get your hands in, when you get the plug out attached to the switch, put the temp sensor in first then attached the wire clip, makes it easier,Good luckLee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers mate, although I plan on getting one anyway as I intend to do most if not all the minor repairs myself. I hope to find a local garage that can keep up the service intervals at a reasonable price, it has every service stamp since 22,000 miles in the book. The previous owner has spent a considerable amount on it's upkeep (last MOT bill was over £600).

Pete

·
Registered
23 Posts
there a good motor, ive had 3 cars since we have brought the zafira, mine gone wrong all the time but other than minor things the zafira keeps going,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts